Position: Procurement Manager
Located in San Marcos, CA, M Bar C Construction provides an ultra-reliable solution for general contractors, corporate divisions, and government entities working on large-scale projects. Using light and heavy gauge structural steel, we can incorporate solar efficiency into parking lot canopies, fixed and tracker system parking structure canopies, and ground-mounted units. We’ve been doing this with great success since 1975 and are now positioned for further growth in the coming year.
We now seek a Procurement Manager who will be responsible for leading all material procurement and subcontractors’ rates related to each specific project to ensure on-time supplier material delivery and achievement of cost savings targets. Analyze material demand requirements and create procurement strategies that optimize performance. This key position for our ongoing success will be responsible for the following:
- Ensure that purchasing and procurement activities are planned and executed so that delays are avoided.
- Establish procurement objectives in accordance with estimates and budgets (project goals) and subsequently attained or beaten through buy-out procedures.
- Negotiate contracts, purchase orders, and work orders with subcontractors, suppliers, and vendors, ensuring that the best value is obtained.
- Prepare and process purchase orders for material once a final agreement on pricing has been mutually agreed.
- Develop mutually beneficial business relationships with Suppliers and third-party providers to achieve optimal outcomes for projects, such that mill runs and lead times are fully understood and managed, maximizing buyout value while avoiding delays, thereby reducing the potential trial negative financial impact to the individual projects.
- Continually monitor supplier performance and proactively escalate any roadblocks to success or quality concerns.
- Assist and advise project administrative staff regarding contractual obligations as related to subcontractors and change orders.
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to Project Managers and project management team members on material procurement and deliverables.
- Seek out and pre-qualify new subcontractors and vendors.
- Answer vendor and subcontractor questions regarding project-specific scope and materials.
- Provide volume forecasting to suppliers and vendors.
- Review initial project budgets for accuracies and address any potential issues with the Project Manager.
- Develop and/or introduce future vendor relationships.
- Estimate material values according to market price.
- Discuss defective or unacceptable goods and/or services with vendors and subcontractors.
- Arrange for disposal/recycling of surplus materials.
- Standardize and update purchasing forms and procurement methods.
- Bid analysis and expedition of materials.
- Provide day to day leadership of procurement team to include training, coaching, counseling, and career development. Plans, and coordinates work assignments, communicates regularly with team on overall performance, and ensures adherence to all company policies/procedures.
- Other duties as may be requested.
Education / Experience: Bachelors degree in Business or relevant discipline, or equivalent work experience with 3-5 years experience in a Purchasing role performing similar duties. Previous experience in the Construction industry desired. Plus responsibilities for leading others are preferred.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Highly tuned Negotiation skills with a demonstrated track record of success in this area
- Possess strong organizational skills in order to simultaneously manage multiple tasks in a schedule-driven environment as timing is a critical function of the position.
- Ability to read and understand construction documents
- General Construction accounting knowledge
- Sufficiently proficient in computer software programs (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel)
- Good critical and strategic thinking skills
- Good math skills
- Ability to work equally well with internal and external team members
- Skilled in all aspects of communication (writing, listening, speaking)
- Possess demonstrated strength in leading/guiding team members and creating high performing teams
- Trustworthy with confidential corporate information.
M Bar C Construction is an EEO employer and embraces diversity in our workforce. The company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local municipal laws.
M Bar C Construction is Veteran friendly and encourages our military veterans to consider us as an Employer of Choice.
Everyone wants to work for an employer that sets themselves apart from the rest of the field. The 2015 Top 500 North American Solar Contractors shows M Bar C Construction as #8 in Construction, #16 in California, and #45 across all of North America. Come make a difference and be part of a team that cares about the quality of what they make. With core values like Family, Integrity, Commitment, and Quality, you’ll be part of something unique in the field of Construction. Make your mark by joining M Bar C Construction.